What does Edges and Drinks actually mean, and why is it important?
Over the course of many years, life coach and business owner Miriam Nabunya had been struggling with her self-image as an entrepreneur, as a black woman in the global north and as a self due to recurring hair loss as a result of mimicking a series of unhealthy beauty standards when growing up in Sweden. This might not sound “as a big deal”, but for a black girl, and later, a black woman, it tampers with one's self-esteem, and confidence. This led to many years of destructive “protective hairstyles” and attempts to change her natural appearance. However, June of 2017, She began to seek professional help to nourish her roots in order to achieve healthy and strong hair growth while also learning to take better care of herself as a whole. THIS changed her life drastically for the better, and it called for a celebration of growth, personal development and love of self with the title “Edges and Drinks”.
In the context of this initiative, the word "Edges" is a metaphor for resilience, healthy personal growth and reclaiming one's right of just being and showing up in society on your own terms.
"Drinks" is to signify a gathering, a watering hole where we can pour into one another.
Edges and Drinks, holds a profound significance that resonates deeply with black and brown women´s collective aspirations and societal needs in the nordics. This gathering, that is slowly turning into a movement, embodies a multitude of vital purposes and remains crucial for several reasons:
1. Empowerment and Self-Worth: Edges and Drinks serves as a platform for black and brown women in the nordics to come together, fostering a sense of empowerment and self-worth. In a world that has not always recognized their value, this community reaffirms their significance, allowing each participant to embrace their authentic selves.
2. Community and Belonging: This safe space cultivates a strong sense of belonging among attendees. It creates an arena where individuals can connect with others who share similar experiences, challenges, and aspirations. This sense of belonging is crucial for mental and emotional well-being.
3. Social Change: Edges and Drinks is not just a gathering; it's a catalyst for social change. It empowers black and brown women in the nordics to raise their voices, advocate for their rights, and push for systemic changes in a society that has not always been equitable. It is a powerful force for driving progress and dismantling barriers.
4. Inspiration and Hope:This community serves as a source of inspiration and hope. It showcases the achievements, resilience, and strength of black and brown women in the nordics, inspiring others to pursue their dreams and overcome obstacles. It sends a message that, despite challenges, a brighter future is possible.
5. Solidarity and Unity: In a world often marked by division, Edges and Drinks stands as a symbol of solidarity and unity. It brings people from diverse backgrounds together, fostering understanding and collaboration. This unity has the potential to ripple beyond the event and positively impact society at large.
6. Legacy Building: Edges and Drinks is not just about the present; it's about building a legacy for future generations. By creating a strong and supportive community, it ensures that the empowerment and advocacy efforts continue, leaving a lasting impact for years to come.
7.Celebration of Diversity: It celebrates the rich diversity within the black community. It recognizes that black and brown women in the nordics have varied experiences and talents, and it provides a platform to showcase and celebrate this diversity.
As we continue to manoeuvre through year two and beyond, Edges and Drinks remains an essential force for change, a source of inspiration, and a beacon of hope. It continues to empower black and brown women in the nordics, build bridges, and drive progress in a world that is increasingly recognizing the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our gatherings are not only mere events; they are part of a movement that will shape a more equitable and inclusive future.
The Mission of Edges and Drinks is to
Unapologetically Connect, Equip, and Celebrate black and brown women in the global north.
Connecting them with their peers on a similar journey in search of a safe space and fruitful relationships.
Equipping and empowering them to grow beyond description and take bolder actions towards the life and reality they desire.
Celebrating them through various event concepts, collaborations and because they are worthy of it.
The vision for Edges and Drinks is to become the premier community and safe space for black and brown women in the global north.
Undoubtedly, these are ambitious objectives, and we understand that achieving them hinges on the unity of our community, regardless of its form. Extend your hand, and collectively, let's forge the society we envision for our future.
Founder and producer